Asaya Department Store demolition to start later this month

asaya-department-store-ext2The Asaya Department store in Maebashi City, Gunma Prefecture, is scheduled to be demolished with work expected to begin by the end of this year. The city purchased the site from the former owner and have plans for redevelopment.

The 3-storey art deco building was constructed by Yasuzo Kida and completed in 1934. The store was opened by the former owner’s great grandfather and was the first department store in Gunma Prefecture. After the war it apparently had a ferris wheel on the rooftop.

The department store closed for business in 1964 and the building was leased out. In May, 2007, it was registered as a National Tangible Cultural Property. The previous owner sought ways to preserve the building’s status, but due to a worsening financial situation he has decided to demolish the building and sell the vacant land.  The building is also at risk in an earthquake.

In August, 2010, the owner submitted a request through the City’s Board of Education to have the building removed from the national register of cultural properties and sold the land to Maebashi City.

Location:

2-8-19 Chiyodamachi, Maebashi City, Gunma Prefecture

asaya-department-store-ext3

asaya-department-store-ext

asaya-department-store-rear2

asaya-department-store-int

Sources:

The Yomiuri Shimbun, December 5, 2010

Asaya Department Store, The Agency for Cultural Affairs

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/nekotokenchiku/e/264ef0f91d6a88f7b5308c04f54f2bf4

http://fkaidofudo.exblog.jp/13912697/

??????????????????????

 2,073 total views,  4 views today