The owner and operator of the 150-year old Fukiro Restaurant in Nagasaki City will be temporarily closing the restaurant later in the year while they search for a buyer of the historic property.
The owner, who is the 6th generation of the founder, made the difficult decision due to a shortage of staff and not having a successor. Annual revenues have also fallen to about 10% of what they were during the bubble years. The large building and traditional Japanese gardens are costly to maintain, which is putting a further strain on operations.
The 3-storey wood-frame building has a total floor area of 740 sqm (7,962 sq ft). It was built between 1868 and 1911, with additions made several times over the past century. It was registered as a Tangible Cultural Property in 2007.
Located in an elevated and prominent position, the long-running restaurant had become a local landmark. Past diners have included members of the Imperial Family, as well as Japan’s first Prime Minister, Prince Hirobumi Ito (1851-1909), who visited the restaurant in 1889 and gave it its current name. It was famous for serving Nagasaki’s Shippoku style of food, which is a fusion of traditional Japanese, Chinese and Portuguese cuisine. Dinners ranged from 12,000 ~ 26,000 Yen.
The owner is searching for corporate buyers both within and outside of the prefecture.
The Asahi Shimbun, April 22, 2017.
The Nagasaki Shimbun, April 20, 2017.
1,511 total views, 4 views today