Japanese household and consumer retail giant, MUJI, have designed a model house in conjunction with home-builder Okawa. The display home was opened on April 1 in Urawa-ku, Saitama City.
The house was designed to be long-lasting and flexible, so that it can be easily changed to adapt to changes in family structure and lifestyle. By 2015, both companies are expecting to be able to supply 500 MUJI-style homes annually.
Urawa-ku is approximately 20 to 30 kilometers from central Tokyo and has become a bedtown. The store / model house is the 29th nationwide location for MUJI, who are expanding their stores around greater Tokyo. MUJI have seven other model houses around Japan.
Details on the MUJI Model House:
- Construction: Wooden frame, 2 stories.
- House size: 98.53 sqm (1060 sqft)
- Construction Cost: 19,660,000 Yen (240,000 USD)
- Address: 1-9-16 Kamikizaki, Urawa-ku, Saitama City, Saitama Prefecture
- Access: 1 minute walk from Yono Station on the Keihin-Tohoku Line
The Asahi Shimbun, March 21, 2012.
MUJI Model House Site: http://www.muji.net/ie/