This article also appears on realestate.co.jp.
Remains of the Kanagawa Daiba (battery or fort) were found at an apartment construction site in Kanagawa Ward, Yokohama. The fort was constructed during the time Yokohama opened its port in the mid 1800s. The fort and surrounding bay is now reclaimed land.
On July 26th a 17m long and 2.5m high stone wall which forms the eastern side of the fort was uncovered. Although one part of the wall appeared to have been repaired with concrete prior to the land reclamation, other parts of the wall that were commissioned by Count Katsu Kaishu remain untouched from when it was completed in 1860 during the Man’en era.
1,570 total views, 6 views today