In Japan, real estate is subject to annual property taxes called kotei-shisan-zei (fixed asset tax, 固定資産税), and toshi-keikaku-zei (city tax, 都市計画税).
With the deadline to apply for the 13-year home loan income tax deduction coming this November, should buyers rush in to purchase or wait to see if it is extended? This scheme allows homebuyers to deduct a percentage of their home loan balance from their income taxes each year for 10 ~ 13 years (the 3-year extension is the one with the looming deadline).
866 total views, 4 views today
The government plans to keep annual property taxes (kotei-shisanzei) for the 2021 year at the same level as those in 2020. This means property owners of commercial and residential land that had seen tax valuations increase just prior to the coronavirus, won’t be stuck with a higher tax bill in 2021.
1,462 total views
Bad news for some as the National Tax Agency (NTA) has decided not to re-adjust rosenka land tax values in light of the pandemic. It seems that land values have not fallen enough to trigger any revision.
1,528 total views
On July 1, the National Tax Agency announced the rosenka land values for 2020. Land values nationwide saw a 1.6% year-on-year increase, an improvement from the 1.3% increase seen in 2019 and the fifth year in a row to see growth.
2,141 total views, 4 views today
If you currently own property in Japan, you should be receiving your annual property tax bill this month or next. These taxes are owed by anyone who owns real estate in Japan, be it residential, commercial or otherwise. Those living overseas are taxed the same as those living in the country.
6,119 total views, 5 views today
|This information applies to:|
If the seller of Japanese real estate is a non-resident, depending on the situation, the buyer must withhold 10.21% of the sale price and pay it to the tax office, with the remaining 89.79% paid to the seller. The buyer is responsible for paying the 10.21% to the tax office by the 10th of the month following the transaction.
5,722 total views, 2 views today
As part of a plan to support and boost the market for used homes, the Japanese government is considering introducing measures to encourage lower interest rates on mortgages that include a component for renovations as well as tax benefits for buyers of older homes.
Although there is growing demand from consumers for relatively cheaper existing homes, more than half require some form of work such as earthquake-retrofitting or upgrades to make them barrier-free for older occupants. It is hoped that easier financing will encourage more consumers to consider older homes and reduce the number of vacant homes across the country.
Expanding the Flat 35 Home Loan
The Japan Housing Finance Agency’s ‘Flat 35’ home loan offers interest rates from as low as 1.69%. Although the loan can be used for both new and old properties, it may soon be expanded to provide additional financing for renovation costs at the time of purchase.
2,271 total views, 2 views today
Home owners are likely to see their annual fixed asset and city taxes increase in 2015. The Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications has decided that residential buildings will be valued at a higher rate next year to account to reflect the recent increase in construction and labour costs. This will be the first increase in the taxable value since 2009.
3,658 total views
Toshima-ku in Tokyo announced that they will extend the special tax on builders of studio or ‘one-room’ apartments for another five years.
The tax applies to buildings with 9 or more apartments that are less than 30 sqm (323 sqft) in size. A construction company must pay a tax of 500,000 Yen on each studio apartment within two months of the commencement of construction.
2,235 total views